Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pumpkin Carving, Etc.

Well, our beautiful pumpkin from Wheeler Farm sat on our table for over a week before we got around to carving it, but we had a good time playing with the pumpkin for FHE last night.
Here is Dane, admiring it's green veiny goodness before we removed its head.

A helpful boy. Please be so kind as to ignore all the clutter in the background.

Scooping out the guts.

We stripped him down to his diaper so he wouldn't get his clothes all messy, but we should have known from his birthday cake experience that he doesn't like to dive into messes. Oh well.
This is his favorite squatting pose:


He is very stable that way.
We tried to recreate last year's pumpkin shot, but it didn't quite work the same way:

Haha, he's such a big boy now!
Then we put Dane to bed, and I beautified the pumpkin while Joel read our voter information pamphlet out loud to me. We decided to vote by mail because there are a lot of things going on on election day and we didn't want to stand in line forever. So, we did a nice little Halloween activity and our civic duty in one fell swoop. Swish.
Here is the final creation:

Pumpkin House!
On its rightful place on the porch:

And then in glowing glory:

In other random news, last Friday we went to see Kenji play in the pit orchestra for BYU's production of Don Giovanni. It was a good show, and it was nice--though abrupt--to see the evil main character get his just desserts at the end. Afterward, we went to Chili's with Kenji and his friends. The server recognized us from Brand X, and we felt like celebrities. He even comped something on our bill. So we pretended we were celebrities and gave him a nice big tip. That was fun.
Then on Saturday, we had our ward Chili Cookoff. Some of you might recall that I was an award-winning chili chef last year with my entry of Chili Wonka. This year, I submitted Chili Sasquash and hoped to regain an award. Alas, it was not to be. However, we did win some stuff in the silent auction, and won some yummy chocolates and some fresh-pressed apple cider in the dessert auction. When I say "fresh-pressed", I mean it because it was literally pressed that day. It could quite possibly be the best tasting drink ever. It is so yummy. I can't get over it. Wow, it's good. I wish I could offer blog samples so you all could taste it.
So that's that. Stay tuned for Halloween costumes. I've been slaving away at Dane's costume, and I hope it turns out cute.
Happy Autumn!

8 comments:

Meghan said...

Is the Pumpkin House supposed to be a secret announcement of things to come???

Laurie said...

What a great pumpkin house - trust you Ami to "pretty it up a bit" and make it unlike any other! Thanks for fun pix of you guys - Dane is growing so big and I loved the one of you and him - what a mom/son cute combo! Love, Mom Frost

Melanee said...

We're excited to see Dane's costume, although it's sure to make all of ours look pretty lame. You and Joel should dress up, too. I'm going to start telling people that some celebrities (you guys) are coming to my Halloween party so that it might sound more exciting than it will probably turn out to be.

Bruthahood said...

Again, I really liked the pictures. They are always fun. I think you need a much bigger pumpkin to be able to recreate last year's picture. Oh, and Dane needs to be crying in one of them. Mom seems to like Dane's face when he's crying for some reason. I guess in a way his face does look like ojiichan's when he does cry.
Oh, and one last scary thought since it's almost Halloween. In that picture of you and Joel on the steps, I finally thought that you and I might look related since I've had some facial expressions that have looked a lot like that in pictures. Scary

LJ said...

I envy your pumpkin house. Can I steal the idea? Don't be mad. I'll be 500 miles away.

Melissa said...

Great pumpkins and great pictures- wow Dane is such a cheeser!! He is so hilarious- love that little pose. Sorry about the chili auction, but it sounded delicious. I didn't win anything last year when it seemed like they gave a million awards- I refuse to make chili again- I'm a bum. Way to be celebrities too! Awesome!

Rika Burr said...

i bet my chili would have beaten your chili. also dane has moobs.

Bruthahood said...

Methinks we need a chili cook off at Christmas to see whose chili is better.