Thursday, August 20, 2009

Frost Family Reunion 2009, Part III

In the last post, I failed to mention the major sunburns we all got. Joel and my sunburns were just from our own laziness. I don't have any pictures of my burn, but Joel was foolish enough to let me take some pictures of him while he played pool with his brothers:


Dane's sunburn was due to a mom who was not thorough enough. Dane is allergic to some sunscreens, so I don't have the nice spray on or stick types. Just regular old lotion. So I'm supposed to make sure I get good coverage, and I apparently did not. These pictures don't show it super well, but he had an uneven burn down the side of his face and a triangle under his eye:


Those two pictures are all we have of the day after beach day, since it hitherto became known as Vomit Day for many of us. Dane threw up in the morning, but I tried to convince myself it was a fluke, despite the fact that several other people were already throwing up all over the place. I just wanted him to be able to ride the train at Griffith park. But then he threw up several more times in the car on the way there. So we dropped off Jake and came right back home. Boo.
Luckily, it was just a 12-24 hour bug for most of us, and by that evening, Dane was in good spirits again. Tess had a kids' activity of making individual pinatas, and Dane was really itching to participate. He had been sick when they made them, but by bashing time, he was ready to roll, so I made a monkey pinata for him really quick.

He was reluctant to let me help at first:




Even though he was one of the youngest to try his hand at the pinatas, I thought he held his own quite well, if I do say so myself.
The next day was Hollywood Day!!
We started out at Grauman's Chinese Theater, trying to find our favorite celebrities' hand and footprints:
Joel chose Abbott & Costello

While I went with Leonard Nimoy, true to the nerd I am.

Then, things got really exciting when I found the Harry Potter square, complete with wand prints!

And Joel found the footprints of his celebrity crush:

The only really notable star we found down the walk of fame was Michael Jacksons. It was a happening place, as you can imagine:

Then, we searched the streets for a superhero to get our picture with. Joel was particularly excited about this because he recently watched a documentary called Confessions of a Superhero that followed the lives of these people who dress up and pose for tips around Hollywood. So he ultimately chose The Incredible Hulk to get our picture with:

This guy, Joseph McQueen, talked with Joel a little bit about being in the documentary and what happened to the Superman guy. Apparently a new, younger guy forced out the older guy who was in the movie. So we refused to take a picture with Superman.

That was our most exciting celebrity sighting.
That is, until we ran into President Obama outside Madame Trussaud's Wax Museum!

He and Joel really hit it off.
Dane got really excited about a monkey climbing a vine in Ripley's Believe it or Not:

And then, even though we don't ever really watch Sesame Street, Dane recognized Big Bird and was excited to meet him:

Word to the wise: If you're ever in Hollywood, avoid this Elmo! He weasled his way into our picture and then demanded that we pay him, even though we didn't even ask him to be in our picture! And since when is Elmo a Lakers fan? It was all very untoward.
Anyway, we loved Hollywood, but one afternoon was definitely enough for us.
Back home, Joel and Dane decided to take a little swim in the backyard pool:




Tune in next time for family pictures and the wrap up of Frost Family Reunion 2009!

3 comments:

Cassia said...

Ouch on the sunburns. And too bad about the stomach bug - I'm glad it ran its course quickly!

What fun pictures you got! I've been to that area once but didn't remember "celebrities" walking around like that. Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the pictures?

And by the way - thanks for the heads up about the update. I'm sorry I'm so forgetful that I need it, but I do appreciate it. :) Let me know if you'd like it reciprocated - our blog isn't private so RSS feeds still work, but I realize not everyone uses those. :)

Rika Burr said...

your monkey pinata is very ugly. stacey and i laughed about it for awhile

Rika Burr said...

also your new layout looks like an ad for recycling