Monday, June 1, 2009

The Box

This is my new box:

"Hey, that's a pretty box," you think, "but what is it for?"

Is it Dane's time out box?


No, it's a potato box!

You put potatoes in the top,


then open up the bottom, and what do you find?


I mean

A potato box! You know how they always say "store in a cool, dry place"? Well, now I can!

"Where did you get this amazing potato box," you immediately wonder.

Joel made it for me! Isn't it beautiful? And isn't he handy? And handsome?
But wait, there's more! It is completely upcycled, which is a fancy word that means Joel made it out of garbage!
Last Christmas, since I got a beautiful new bookcase, Joel refurbished our old, ugly one into an entertainment center. He used the leftover pieces to make this potato box. The lids are made of wood scraps we got for $1.01 at Home Depot. The hinges are from the leaves in our coffee table that Joel reinforced with better hinges. The paint and stain are leftover from past projects. Swish!
We have some cool knobs for the lids that I am trying to decide if we should put on there. It looks so pretty already.
Potatoes!

7 comments:

Kristen and Ryan said...

we always had a "taters & onions" bin growing up. it looked similar. only it had "taters & onions" engraved on the top.
I rarely buy potatoes because I feel like I don't have anywhere to store them.
way to go joel!

Bruthahood said...

Nice. We'll eventually get around to having one of those. Maybe after I graduate. Then they can be off the ground in the plastic nets they come in. Wait, those are onions...and you don't like those. Regardless, we will have something nice for our food soon.

Cassia said...

I love it. That is a great idea - and very nice looking! I love that (1) you can store potatoes in someplace other than the original sack in the bottom of a closet, (2) you have a FIFO-like system here, and (3) it's from "previously used but altered for a new use" materials. :)

LJ said...

That is pretty dang cool. And handy. And potato-y.

Joel said...

"It is completely upcycled, which is a fancy word that means Joel made it out of garbage!"
Swish.

Meghan said...

I. Love. It.

Can he market those and sell them? I'd be first in line to buy one. I'd even give you my garbage to build it!

Melanee said...

"Used is the new new." Totally true. I'm really coveting your potato box. But if I had one, it would probably turn into a time-out box pretty quickly, so it's probably better that I don't have one.