Tuesday, November 4, 2008

President Barack Obama

I heard this thing on the radio about a text message that was circulating among the African- American community:

Rosa sat so Martin could walk
Martin walked so Obama could run
Obama is running so our children can fly

Regardless of how each person voted, I think Obama's victory means something significantly good for our country in terms of what has been our society's status quo for so long. Racial barriers have been knocked down, and I am excited for the opportunities that are open to minorities, opportunities that we--and I think I can include myself--didn't have before. That makes me feel good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, it is exciting, and it is history in the making!

Cassia said...

I really like that message. :)

Sistahood said...

Thanks, Ami. I needed to read something like that. Unfortunately I have been so ambivalent about this whole election that I did lose sight of the historical significance of it all. Love him or hate him, it is a huge step in the right direction, as far as racial equality is concerned.

Megan said...

Thanks for pointing out what people seem to be overlooking in this election. It was nice to take a second to think about how far we've come instead of worrying about how far we have left to go.

Tracie Frost said...

Agreed, Ami. Being a Southern daughter of Southern parents who grew up in a segregated South, I love the story of this election. It's a tribute to America and African Americans that 2 generations from segregation, we have an African American president. No matter what your political leanings, that's something to be proud of.