Monday, January 14, 2008

Voting and Such

So, I originally registered to vote in Oklahoma, but I didn't want to mess with absentee ballots and all that this year, so I decided to change my registration to Utah. I fill out the form, blah blah blah. Then I get a letter back saying that my citizenship can't be determined by the form. "That's weird," I think, "I went over everything twice to make sure I'd filled it all out, and I know I checked the 'U.S.' citizen box." So I call the county clerk's office to get it all cleared up, and somehow the man on the other line knows who I am before I tell him. Even with caller ID and all that, that's kind of weird. I ask if I forgot to fill something out, and he said no.
"Well, it's just that you were born in Japan."
"Yes...?"
"Are you a citizen by marriage?"
"No, I was born a citizen."
"Well, I'll need your social security card, birth certificate, and Utah driver's license."
"I don't have a Utah driver's license; I have an Oklahoma license."
"Do you have proof of your residency in Utah?"
"Yes, I sent in a copy of my utility bill." I had called the office while filling out the form just to make sure.
"Hm. Were either of your parents in the service?"
"No."
"Well, why were you born in Japan?"
"Well, my mom is Japanese, and my parents were living there at the time."
"Hm. Hold please." And I'm on hold for a few minutes. "Everything is in order, you may disregard the letter." Click.

I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting, but I was really annoyed at how suspicious the guy seemed. I mean, I know you have to be a legal resident and all to vote, but he just sounded so smug to have "caught" a questionable voter. I mean, the form showed that I was previously registered in another state, it had my social security number and everything. It made me mad.

Anyway, on to other things. Why is it that Dane is so smiley but then as soon as I get the camera out, he won't smile? Here are my attempts:

Also, I met up with some friends I haven't seen in a while. I visited my friend Miriam at her parent's house last weekend. It was fun to catch up and see their pretty house with the gorgeous view.

And the next day we had Women's Services reunion dinner. Here are my WSR pals (minus Naomi with her cute belly that will soon be gone when her beautiful baby arrives!)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Yeah I'm excited that you joined me on this crazy pay it forward thing. It's like my friend said, "Who doesn't love free stuff?" Sorry to hear about your recent voting issues- and about capturing Dane smile- I've so been there. I've been trying to get Jacob to say Daddy on camera for weeks- but yup, when the camera is out, he stops. Silly babies. Can you e-mail me your address so I can send you this thing? Hopefully I get it out soon- my e-mail is melnye@gmail.com. Thanks!

Kristen and Ryan said...

I was so jealous that you and miriam got to see each other. why are we so far away?!? I'm coming to town in feb to see jen's pregnant belly with my mom so we might just have to say hello to the frosts. I'll keep you posted.

LJ said...

Voting man: Stupid stupid stupid.
Dane: So cute I could bite him.
You: Wearing a green scarf I've secretly always envied.
Me: Wanting a pattern of said scarf.

Tracie Frost said...

I love that picture of Dane getting Daddy kisses. Beautiful boy!