Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley


I'm not sure what exactly I'm feeling as I think about the death of President Hinckley.
I feel an odd mix of sadness, peace, resolve, and being happy for him. Although I never met him, I had the opportunity to be in the same room as him on several occasions, including general conferences, devotionals, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert on September 11, 2001.
I also had a fairly unique opportunity to spend my six years at BYU as a Gordon B. Hinckley Presidential Scholar, which led to hearing many talks about my responsibilities and stewardship to use the great blessing of the scholarship and a BYU education for good. At times, I found it to be a bit annoying, but as I contemplated what President Hinckley's life and death meant to me, I felt an overwhelming desire to live my life worthy of taking on his name. I want to be a little better. I want to be an influence for good. I want to raise a righteous family, be a faithful wife and mother, be an influential therapist and help others.
I saw a video clip of him speaking in Hyde Park in England, visiting where he had served as a missionary. He said he has a special fondness for that place, and I was touched by the youthful affection that was so evident on his face. And I wondered what the reception into the spirit world is like for one who dies having been a faithful prophet. I imagined a happy President Hinckley excitedly looking for his wife with the same look of affection. I could see Christ smiling as He opened His arms to His beloved servant, nodding to show His acceptance of President Hinckley's work, welcoming him into his next estate. And I know that President Hinckley would want us to live our lives to have a similar reception.
I sometimes joked that I supposed President Hinckley got pretty tired of hearing people sing We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet. But I am thankful for him. I'm happy to have lived during his time as prophet, to have heard his words and felt his influence. I am privileged to have a tiny part in carrying on his legacy. I will miss him.

I think this picture reveals some effects of the great burden and responsibilities he carried as the prophet. Joel prayed last night that he would now have the opportunity to enter into some rest. I think he deserves it.

1 comment:

LJ said...

Thank you for posting that. That was beautiful.