Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Punch Kick

I enrolled Dane in a gymnastics/karate class that Joel and I have taken to calling Punch Kick. Dane loves it. It's the first organized activity he's ever been in, and he gets really excited to go. He keeps track of how many days it is until Tuesday, and when the day is finally here, he carefully gets dressed, saying, "I want to look my best."
Here is a picture as we were leaving for his very first class:
Then he took a self-portrait:
They spend at least half the class in the karate room, learning to punch and to kick. Then, they escape through the ninja tunnel. Here, Dane is emerging from the ninja tunnel with his game face on (I was holding a fussy June and hadn't figured out the right settings for taking pictures through the window, so I apologize for the blurry photos):
Then they got to run down the tumble tramp into the sponge pit. Here, Dane is asking Coach Cory if they get to go down the zip line (not yet).
Here's a little video of Dane's big jump. Soundtrack by June.

Yesterday was his second day, when they did a little more tumbling. (These are phone photos, so they're not much better.) First, you warm up on your own trampoline.
Then Coach Cory spots you as you do a handstand flip into the sponge pit:
Sometime it's hard to climb out of the pit:
And at the end, Coach gives you a stamp for a job well done!
I think it's so cute to hear Dane say, "Bye, Coach," as we leave.

I know I'm pretty late jumping on the bandwagon of enrolling my child in some sort of class, but I am pretty happy with myself for finally doing it. It makes him so happy. I'm excited to give him a little coaching at home so he can perfect his moves! (He's going to the same gym I went to when I took gymnastics. The same one Shannon Miller trained in. It is the gym of champions).

3 comments:

Rika Burr said...

You must make him practice his punches every day

Melanee said...

Wow, that's quite an impressive sponge pit! I'll bet that's the key to becoming an Olympic gymnast.

Laurie said...

You had an amazing year, Ami! I admire you so much and know why June, Dane and Joel do also! How sweet to have this new little girl and Dane big enough to do punch kick class!