Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Christmas Crazies: Music

Whew. We had so much going on over the holidays that I, unsurprisingly, wasn't able to update the blog. Further, I can't possibly put it all in one post, so I'm going to have to break it all up. Hopefully I can get them all up in a timely manner.
Man, my write-ups have gotten boring.

Christmas is a musical time of year, and this year, we were musical to the MAX!

Early in the year, we found out that Craig Jessop, former director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, was coming to Oklahoma to direct an epic choir/orchestra concert. I think it was a cosmic inevitability that the Hood family be heavily involved in such an event. For months, Rika and I (well, mostly I--Rika was a slacker) spent every Sunday evening accompanying my mom's stake's choir, dragging our husbands along to sing.
Then, the orchestra rehearsals began. They were...kind of maddening, but it was still fun to be in an orchestra again. I do love playing in an orchestra.
Then, the big, two-concerts-in-one-day extravaganza! The performances went well, despite a little mishap. Right before the second performance, I was adjusting my shoulder rest (which was kind of dumb of me to do right then, but anyway). I unscrewed the little nut that holds the feet on and promptly dropped it, then watched helplessly as it rolled off into the chasm under the stage. Luckily, the feet held okay for the rest of the concert.
Also, I cried.
Not because I was moved by the music (though it was moving) but because I was trying so hard to suppress a big coughing spell. I only sort of succeeded, but I hope I wasn't distracting.
We all got to meet Craig Jessop and impress him with our musical family (plus one friend from Japan).






Mom's Christmas Recital

For our Christmas present to my mom this year, we put on a family recital, complete with every sibling performing a special piece. Even Kenta, who couldn't travel, recorded a piano piece that we played for our larger than expected audience. 
I, for one, have not practiced regularly in years and haven't taken lessons in even longer. It was looking pretty bad until I finally decided I needed some help and took up violin lessons again. They make me happy.
I think the photos tell the rest of the story on their own.









5 comments:

Rika Burr said...

of course i am a slacker

LJ said...

I'm totally crying right now. Dang you Hoods and your perfect gifts!

Melanee said...

There are so many things I could say about how awesome this is but the thought I can't get out of my head is, "Why does Craig Jessop look like he's wearing a t-shirt under his jacket?"

Cassia said...

Wow! to the concert! It just wouldn't be right without a mishap to remember. :)

And awwww - so sweet on the Christmas Recital! I love the pictures (including your wide-eyed look). :)

Bruthahood said...

Hey, is that Craig Jessop?