Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Homeward Bound


This movie has nothing to do with anything. It's just what I think of when I hear the phrase "homeward bound." Also, the Simon & Garfunkel song of the same name.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't yet heard, we are moving to Oklahoma. Joel was cut to half-time at his job many months ago, and we have been searching and searching and searching for a new job. We finally found a job, and it's a great opportunity, in Oklahoma City. So we're headed back from whence we came.

The funny thing is, it doesn't totally feel homeward bound. I mean, most of my family is still there, and I am excited to live near them. But I have lived my entire adult life here in Utah, and we have spent all seven of our married years here. So Utah feels like home. It is sad to leave.

Happy to go, sad to leave. Can you feel those feelings at the same time?

I sure can.

We're moving out NEXT WEEKEND, so I will likely not be blogging more until we're in Oklahoma. Wish me luck on packing and finding a place to live.

Let the adventure begin.

9 comments:

Joel said...

I must admit I was a little disappointed that the job opportunity didn't work out in Show Low (my home town). I was looking forward to keeping a goat.
Instead I'll just have to settle for buying you a lot of pretty things and shyly offering them to you one at a time.
I just realized that my entire adult life has been in Utah as well. We have made a lot of friends here, and it feels sad to go.
It's kind of funny, too. When I told the guys at church that I had finally found a new job, they clapped. Maybe they were clapping because I'll be moving.

Bruthahood said...

If you think about it, that's where you got married and at least spent the first few months of your married life. Too bad they tore down the house where you lived for parking spaces.

Cassia said...

Congratulations on the new job, and good luck on the move! What a change - and an opportunity. :)

Evan and Holly said...

Seriously, so sad. But when Evan and I move in two years for grad school---it will be the same for us. Our whole adult lives have been here too (except the 2 year stint in Fresno and my 1 semester in Washington, China, and then Romania). Evan said to me--now we have a reason to visit Oklahoma. Well, now we do. What job is it?

Bryan said...

We completely understand the part about doing what you have to do to take care of your family. That's part of why we're still here in Georgia. :)

Best wishes for your move!

Teresa said...

Wow! That's fast. I just told Chris you guys are moving and he said "yeah. I know. Oh...did I forget to tell you?" Yeah. He forgot :) Chris' master plan is to get as many friends as possible to move to Oklahoma and then we will move to Dallas and come visit you frequently.

Congratulations! We'd love to hear more about the job when you get the chance to blog again.

Miriam said...

I'm so excited for you guys. We'll be driving out that way this weekend also. We're going to Dallas to visit Ryan's parents there. I hope the move goes smoothly for you!

Laurie said...

I'm happy for the job and prayers answered but I get weepy frequently thinking how I'm going to miss you so much being farther from Boise! I'm so glad you came for my April birthday. I'll come help you move.
Maybe you can get a goat or some chickens, and they won't tear down your next apartment! What will be your first shy gift to Ami? I can see your smile...ha!
Love you, Mom Frost

Melanee said...

It's funny that you keep thinking of that movie. Anytime I think about you guys moving, I can hear Michael Scott singing "Goodbye, Toby" in the finale of Season 4, although it doesn't really mirror our feelings about you leaving. But even though we're sad to see you go, we're so happy that you've stuck around as long as you have and that you found such a great opportunity to pursue. We'll have to find someplace awesome between UT and OK when we're ready for "Bear Lake II."