Friday, August 29, 2008

The Long, Flabby Arm of the Law

You know in Law & Order when they're making headway in some case and then, suddenly, one of the officers is served a subpoena? And it's all tense and dramatic? Now I can say I have had that experience. I was sitting peacefully in my supervisor's office when a woman comes in, hands me a bunch of papers, and says "You are being served a subpoena." Or something like that. I didn't have to appear in court, but I did have to give a deposition. Hence, the last two weeks have been stressful for me as I've tried to figure out how it all works, what I need to do, and how much therapist-client information is considered privileged. I have lost some sleep and probably aged a couple years. The most stressful things were 1) knowing that people were really relying on me to do this right/screw up, depending on which side they were on; 2) the fact that my supervisors were giving me totally contradictory information about privilege. But now it's over, I survived, and it went pretty well. I am hoping I don't have to deal with that again, but I probably will.

I was kind of having a professional identity crisis anyway before this happened, and then all this legal stress has made me really question how much I really want to do this therapy thing. I don't want to give it all up, but...there is a lot of junk that you really can't know until you're out there. Someday, I will be fully licensed and will be able to pick and choose who I want to see and when. But that is not the case now. It is somewhat helpful for me to think of it as a sort of residency like medical students experience. It's kind of crappy for a while, and then you get to call the shots, most of the time anyway. Bleh. But sometimes I still wonder what I got myself into.
On to better things.
Dane is cute and big and makes us laugh all the time. I can't believe he's almost a year old now. Has it really been that long? And he has changed so much.

I love that little pose of his. It makes me smile every time I see it.

He has never quite grasped the whole pacifier concept:

And here he is, flashing his pearly whites (all eight of them):

As you can see, he is also flashing his runny nose.

This is how he claps:

He will hold one hand steady and bring the other one to meet it. It is cute.

Finally, a little feminist moment, brought to you by me:
I watched the broadcast of John McCain announcing his choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate. (Just to set the stage, I was not necessarily waiting for the announcement with bated breath. I was watching Rachael Ray, and the broadcast interrupted it. I was actually a little stressed that I would miss what she was making for dinner, but I got to see both the announcement and the dinner. Whew.) After he introduced her, she gave her speech, including an introduction of her family. She has a son who enlisted in the army last year, three daughters, and another son who is four months old. Four months old! She is a candidate for vice-president with five kids, including a tiny infant. And at the end of her speech, she acknowledged the anniversary of women’s suffrage and thanked those women who paved the way for her to be in this position, including Geraldine Ferraro and, of course, Hillary Clinton. She quoted how some have said Hillary made 18 million cracks in the biggest, hardest glass ceiling in the U.S. The Palin said, “…we can shatter that glass ceiling once and for all!” When she said that, I got goosebumps and became a little weepy. This surprised me. I have no political aspirations, and yet the possibility of having a female vice-president touched me somehow. I don’t know. I am happy to have a woman in the running. We’ll see how it all turns out.

8 comments:

Bryan said...

Either way you look at it, this election will make history. We'll either have the first African-American president or the first female vice president. Pretty exciting!

I have to admit, from an LDS perspective there's a lot to like about Palin's family values. Not only does she have five children, but the latest was diagnosed with Down syndrome while in utero - and she still carried the child full-term. I deeply respect her for that.

Cassia said...

First of all--congratulations on making it through the deposition experience! That definitely sounds stressful! But maybe it's a good thing you experienced it now, just so you know what you're getting into--the good and the bad.

By the way, I love the picture of Dane and the pacifier. :)

And yes, this will be a very interesting election.

Anonymous said...

All I know is that her sons played hockey, and so she's a hockey mom, which is way better than a soccer mom.

Sistahood said...

I am impressed by the amount of hair that Dane has managed to grow since he was in Oklahoma. I, too, was moved by Palin's speech. She seems like a sharp lady, plus she is Mom Hot. I'm excited to see what happens.

Megan said...

I'm sorry about the subpoena. One of my professors was served last week, and I was counting my blessings that I wasn't him. However, I have a couple of clients who have given me problems I never wanted to have, so I'll e-mail you later and we can commiserate. Also, Dane is adorable, and while I did not find the song you were looking for in Japan, I did get him something while I was there.

LJ said...

Maybe you need to watch the one Strong Bad episode where he's a lawyer and serves Homestar a subpoena (pronouncing it a sub-poe-EE-nuh). That might cheer you up.

Melissa said...

Oh man- sorry about all the subpoena stuff. Yuck. Brandon had to go to court twice for a family he had to observe over a few weeks. He dreaded every minute of it and said that court was the worst thing ever- actually after was the worst thing ever because he kept second guessing himself about everything he said. I'm glad you didn't have to go. Dane is so freaking adorable. I love that pose too. And yeah for Palin.

Koni Frost said...

Hi Ami..

That sounds so stressful! I'm glad you made it through and everything turned out good...I'm sure you did great!

so fun reading your blog!! AND golly look how big Dane is! .. HE IS SO SO CUTE!!! :)