Friday, May 9, 2008

Lies, and Other Mishaps

We have had a few unfortunate incidents stemming from scientific lies. And probably a little bit of ineptitude on our part.

First, Joel, with his keen mind, once observed at a restaurant with copper topped tables that hot sauce dripped onto the copper will clean off tarnish. Well, back when we got married (four years ago last week, by the way), my aunt gave us some nice copper bottom frying pans. Over the years, they have become a little tarnished. So Joel got the brilliant idea to clean off the tarnish with some Tapatio sauce we have. He very attentively applied an even coat to the entire bottom of the pan and let it soak for a while. Then he excitedly rinsed off the Tapatio, and voila! The tarnish was gone!

And so was the copper.

So if you’re looking for a cheap, easy way to get rid of copper, now you know.

Also, following this pan problem, Joel and I were laughing about it, and it reminded me of something that happened when I was probably ten or eleven years old. I had watched an episode of Mr. Wizard in which he explains the structural integrity of an egg and how it is impossible to crush and egg with your bare hands. The dorky looking kid even tried it on the show to no avail. I excitedly want to show this amazing trick to my mom while she is making dinner. She says, “Don’t do it; you’ll break it and waste an egg.” Full of faith for Mr. Wizard, I say, “No, I won’t, see?” and proceed to crush the egg in my bare hands. And my mom got mad at me.

After he finishes laughing, Joel insists that I must have done it wrong, that if you put your palms on the ends and squeeze together, an egg cannot be crushed by human hands. Cannot. Since I was making rice pudding, I grabbed an extra egg and thought about trying it again. It was definitely possible that I did it wrong the first time. But I chickened out. Joel eggs me on (no pun intended). So I carefully place my palms on the ends of the egg and squeeze.

It instantly crushed. And the spiky edges of the shell cut me. I’m pretty sure that happened last time, too. That hurt.

So Mr. Wizard is a liar. Or crushing eggs with my bare hands is my super power.

14 comments:

LJ said...

Remember when you beat the brownies at medium speed?

Brian, Laura, Felix & Ezra said...

ha! I thought the egg thing was true too, probably bc of Mr. Wizard too. That's why I handed an egg to Felix the other day when I was scrambling him one. There's a video on our blog that shows the outcome of that decision. All over his pants.
Love the blog Ami, and I love to read and see updates of you, Joel, and of course Dane!

VeNicia said...

So funny! You guys crack me up. Your baby is so very cute, by the way. I am supremely impressed with his push-up stance.

VeNicia said...

So funny! You guys crack me up. Your baby is so very cute, by the way. I am supremely impressed with his push-up stance.

VeNicia said...

So funny! You guys crack me up. Your baby is so very cute, by the way. I am supremely impressed with his push-up stance.

VeNicia said...

So funny! You guys crack me up. Your baby is so very cute, by the way. I am supremely impressed with his push-up stance.

Rika Burr said...

So funny! You guys crack me up. Your baby is so very cute, by the way. I am supremely impressed with his push-up stance.

Melissa said...

Wow that is your super power- that is so funny- what a great story- you are my favorite story teller! You have such a great way with words and you have the best stories.

Melanee said...

You and Joel should be on a TV show where you set up experiments to bust all those silly myths that we're fed as children. It would be so very original. Seriously, you guys would be so great on TV. I know I would watch.

Laurie said...

Egg-sactly great, your blog, my dear (from Mom Frost/Yoda). Dane is so cute in jinbei - I loved Japan and am glad they had the festival and you got the pix of your little doppelganger in kimono.
- Mom F

LJ said...

*laughing*

Rika kills me. Whooooo boy.

hortongirls said...

Oh man, you guys! I was just stalking your blog and that video you made when Ami was preggers is the funniest thing I have ever seen! Joel, I'm sorry dude, but I still think of you as like 10 years old, so imagine my suprise when I find out that you're a really funny grown up! Hope all is well with you guys! Cute baby! Nicole

Cassia said...

Wow. I never would have thought that Tapatio could remove copper! It makes me wonder how exactly that worked. :) As for the egg thing--I think you are brave for trying it! Even if it were true, I don't know that I could bring myself to try it. I hate goo. :)

Cagney and Laci said...

So funny! You guys crack me up. Your baby is so very cute, by the way. GOTCHA! hahahahahahaha! Joel, you lying, manipulative heathen! I know you were the guy that loved frying ants at recess. can't wait to hear of what things you make your little kid do. can't wait to see you guys in june.