Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Eastertime

Because Saturday is a special day (a day to get ready for Sunday), we made sure to get Dane all clean and spiffy for Easter. Dane loves his baths.

He is outgrowing his little baby bath and loves to splash around and grab his toes.

I’m excited for when he can sit up well enough to play in the regular bathtub with toys. What a happy boy.

On Easter Sunday, we got to church early to practice a little string ensemble of O Saviour, Thou Who Wearest a Crown. There are three violinists and a violist in our ward, and they don’t write a whole lot of music for that ensemble, so I arranged the hymn myself. It’s mostly the regular hymn itself (you can’t improve too much on Bach), but I changed some things up for the third verse. Here’s a link if you’d like to hear it. The only free hosting site I could find deletes the link after 48 hours. So. I might re-upload it periodically. If anyone cares. And I’ll email you the music if you want it. I’ll even change the instrumentation if you want. If I can. I’m not that knowledgeable, really.

Anyway, then we headed down to Orem for our Seventh Annual Easter with the Penoviches. Todd Penovich grew up with my dad, and I have gone to their house every year because, until I got married, I was the only living Mormon to not have family in Utah. But even now that I have lots of family and friends around, we continue going back because they are a ton of fun. We made sure Dane participated in the egg hunt. He’ll probably be more interested next year.

Yes, this picture was completely staged. But I’m okay with it.

Here we are with Lanez Penovich, our gracious host and amazing Easter chef.

Here is another staged picture of Dane finding an Easter egg with the help of uncle Kenji.

Dane with Daddy.

Dane with Mommy.

Then on Monday, Dane had his six month appointment. The stats:

Weight: 17 lbs. 0 oz. (39%)

Length: 26.4 inches (48%)

Head: 42.5 cm (15%)

This whole percentile thing is kind of weird. First of all, he’s always been short and fat. Now he’s average height and a little less than average weight. He pulled a little switcheroo on us. And his head is small. It’s gone for 34% to 28% to 15%. Actually, the nurse measured him wrong this time and he came out as 7% and the doctor got worried, but a remeasure proved him not too tiny headed. Though still small. But Dane does not seem like a small guy. People always think he’s big. Maybe it’s because he’s so strong. He sits up pretty well, babbles like he’s talking, pushes up on his hands during tummy time and scoots himself back, and tries really hard to sit up from lying on his back. And the doctor says his top teeth should sprout any day now. ‘sigh’ He’s growing up so fast. Soon he’ll be walking and talking and reasoning. I love my sweet boy. Don’t grow up too fast, okay?

6 comments:

LJ said...

1. I like the family-in-yellow thing going on here.
2. The leaf made me laugh. A lot.

Bryan said...

If you like, you can launch Windows Movie Maker (or iLife, if Mac's your flavor) and create a "blank" video with your "O Saviour..." arrangement as the audio track, then upload it to YouTube or any other video-sharing site, and post the link here. Or you could do something even more creative with the visuals, like use several paintings of Christ as still frames. It would be more work in the short term, but it sure beats having to re-post the musical arrangement over and over again.

Just a thought.

James and Tiff said...

They do grow up way TOO fast! I know how you feel about the switcheroo on the height and weight! Drezden was always short and fat and now that he is 2 he is considered "tall" and "thin"! I think that as long as they are healthy- who cares:) Good luck with the teething- try buying a baby toothbrush and putting it in the freezer for when he gets fussy and then let him chew on it- just an idea for you:)

Cassia said...

In my opinion, as long as they act happy and healthy, the percentages are just interesting little statistics--nothing to get too concerned about. :) Jonathan is now high on height and average on weight (gee, where would he get that from?) and at the last check-up appointment the pediatrician expressed some concern about the height to weight ratio. Until I mentioned that Bryan was the same way... :) I thought that was especially funny, though, because his weight was actually closer to his height percentage-wise than it ever had been!

Anyway, I enjoyed your post. :) The well-placed leave made me laugh. And it's amazing to see how quickly Dane is growing. :) And I very much enjoyed listening to the music. :)

A Frost said...

I saw your blog link through Emily Martinue's blog. Dane is so cute. I am glad that I found your site so that I can see your many adventures.

Tracie Frost said...

That arrangement is beautiful. Your ward is lucky to have so much talent!