Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Oklahoma is OK!

Who thought of that as a state motto? "We take pride in mediocrity." Silly.
This will be my final post before I leave for Oklahoma tomorrow. I might post while I'm there, but no guarantees. First, can I say that I am really freaking out about flying on a plane by myself with Dane? I know people have done it for years, and I know that it's probably not as bad as I'm stressing myself out about it, but I am still worried. I guess by this time tomorrow I'll be done with the first let anyway (yes, I have a layover).
I planned a trip home for multiple reasons:
1) My parents need to see their only grandchild
2) Kenta/Kendall and Mika have yet to meet him
3) We had a free ticket from when I bumped last year
4) Rika and Kenta have their birthdays during the time I'll be there
and then, unexpectedly,
5) My dad had a heart attack.
The onomatopoeia in Japanese for suddenly feeling scared is doki. I think that's a good word for that feeling you get when you hear startling news. No worries, though, he is doing fine. It was a medium strength heart attack, but the scans at this point say there was no damage. I'm not sure how that works, but I'm grateful. He is recuperating at home and needs rest. And then better diet and exercise. It was pretty scary, but things are as good as they could be considering he just had a heart attack.
Whew. That's bad news. Here are some pictures of Dane to lift the spirits.



So, Dane doesn't sleep so hot these days. But I'm utilizing the knowledge of the Baby Whisperer, and things are getting better, albeit slowly. I'm looking forward to the nights when I'll only have to get up once, or even none at all! It's weird to me that this happened way more often when he was two months old and that things aren't nearly as good now. But whatever. Soon he will be a well trained, sleeping boy. But all the same, I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

9 comments:

Rachelle said...

I read "Healthy Sleep Habits- Happy Baby" for guidance on sleep training. I did read Baby Whisperer but it didn't really work for us. The major turning point was when she learned how to roll from back to stomach and could sleep on her stomach. It is so much more comfortable and soothing for them. But you are right some day you will be able to sleep through the whole night!! It is a beautiful thing.

LJ said...

I haven't a lick of advice to offer, but man your kid is cute. Cutest midget ever.

JoandDoug said...

Sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure that it will be good to be in OK again though. As far as the sleeping thing goes, Babywise (I think it's officially called "On Becoming Babywise" is what did it for us. It's so hard to know what to do because there are so many theories out there but that one really did work for us. We're 2 and 0 now using that method so I'd recommend it.

Melissa said...

Yeah, I'm glad that you are coming to OK- but we probably won't see you. I'm glad your dad is doing ok too- that is a scary thing. I was scared when Brady told us and he isn't even my dad! But I'm glad he is better. Oi- don't even ask me for advice- I have yet to figure it out. Josh and Jake are both horrible sleepers. But I just keep in mind that someday when they are teenagers, I won't be able to get them out of bed! But I heard that "heatlthy-habits" book is a good one, I just haven't read it yet. I really need too. oh and Dane is such a cutie- as always!

Kristen and Ryan said...

oh ami, tell your dad the townsend's will be thinking of him! I'm so glad you're going home...for all those reasons! good luck on the plane ride. kate always had her biggest poop explosions while on airplanes. is there a reason for that?!?! but I'm sure you'll do great. and as far as the sleeping goes, if you're interested in being a swaddling sleep natzi, I'm your woman. but a lot of the same ideas are in "sleeping through the night" by mindell. kate didn't actually sleep through the night until she was 9 months old, but she's always gone down well for us. can't wait to see you!!

Laurie said...

Thanks for the fun pix of Dane and Dad laughing - I want to hear that and am glad I can see you next month.

Also for the touching commentary and pictures of Pres. Hinckley. I'm he would think you were a worthy Hinckley scholar - I saw how you studied! The same diligence carries into mothering.

Be safe on your trip - Dad will be nicely distracted now! Love, Mom Frost

Emily W said...

My big tip for good sleeping babies is swaddling. I read the book Happiest Baby on the Block and it details how to swaddle well. I never fed Autumn at night after 6 weeks, and Prairie was sleeping 10 hours at night with no feedings by 2 months. If they wake up I just re-swaddle them and they settle back down and fall asleep.

Tracie Frost said...

I liked Ferber's book, but I can't remember the name of it. Think I have it memorized by now, so no longer own it!

Don't worry about the plane ride. Of course, something crazy will happen (poop, spit up, refusing to sleep), but it will all turn out fine. Most people on flights are really nice. Just pack a change of clothes for Dane and one for you in your plane bag. (Eva once peed on me - didn't have a change of clothse. Yuck)

Joel said...

I don't sleep very well when you're gone. I've started tossing my clothes on your side of the bed instead of putting them away. When I roll over in the middle of the night I think it's you. I made out with my sweater vest at three in the morning. I blame you.
Also, I love you.