Thursday, August 23, 2007

Crib Bumper

I finished the baby's crib bumpers yesterday. Hooray! It doesn't completely match the quilt I'm making because I didn't have a whole lot of foresight when I bought the fabric for the quilt; it didn't occur to me that I might want to make more and would want matching fabrics. But then again, it gave me an excuse to go out and find more cute fabrics.
I had been toying with the idea of simply making bumpers from scratch. I didn't really want to because I'm not a particularly good seamstress, but I didn't know how else I could make the bumpers be exactly what I wanted. Enter the brilliant mind of my friend Kristen: she told me that she just found bumpers on sale and then covered it with her own fabrics, which I had never before supposed. Then, Joel and I finally went and checked out IKEA, where we found a plain white bumper for $12.99. Ta-da! My crib bumper was born. I decided to sew the fabrics right onto the bumper instead of making a cover because I liked having the white piping on the edges. After some poorly pinned and crooked fabric fiascos (including accidentally sewing the ties down on one entire side), I got it all done, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out:

Here's a close up of all the different fabrics. If you look closely, you can see the decorative stitching that I used on the edge. No, I don't have a fancy computerized sewing machine, but I do have a 1972 Viking that belonged to my Grandma, and it can do all sorts of exciting things with special gears and cams. I think it's pretty cool.

I would have taken a picture of the bumper on the crib, but we're moving and everything is getting taken down and packed away. I will definitely post letting everybody know when we've finally figured out a place to live. Crazy, eh?

3 comments:

Kristen and Ryan said...

oh cute. wow, I am brilliant. just kidding. but I LOVE the fabric and you are a great seamstress. I didn't know you were moving, where are you moving to?

Miriam said...

I love that! Seriously, I love the fabric and it looks really good with the white piping on the sides. Well done! I feel like I'm just repeating what kristen said, but WHERE ARE YOU MOVING??

sweetbabytot said...

Good Idea! You should submit your project to http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com