Sunday, August 4, 2013

Profusion of Posts

At least, that's what I hope.

I want to be a better blogger, and I want to find the time to do it. And luckily, I have all sorts of posts to catch up with, so I have plenty of material! I'm months behind in posts, so things won't be in chronological order, but there are things I want to make sure get posted. Firstly,

Frost Family Reunion 2013!

Today I'll share the tale of my sad career as a family photographer in Hilton Head, SC, a story otherwise known as The Universe Doesn't Want Me to be a Photographer.



The first photo shoot was for the whole family, and it was the most important, since we all get together so infrequently. It had been raining, but it stopped for a short time, and we were able to snap some pretty good photos--no small feat with a group of 43. 

Silly shot!

 
Then, after probably only ten minutes, right when we started doing some individual family shots, the rain started up again:
Emmaline, Jennifer, Leslie, Gibber, Alena, Jared, Noelle, Mariah
(A prize to any non-family who can guess the ages of all their kids!)

I thought the Cobia rain photo was lovely, but it's not exactly wall art. 


Makenna, Addie, Monique, Allen, Carter, Emery
Amazingly, the foliage was thick enough that Allen & Monique's family got a decent photo.
A couple of mornings later, Tess asked me to take some picture of my lovely niece Arin in her baptism dress. The combination of our wonderfully air-conditioned condo and the hot, humid morning made my lenses completely fog up. I mean completely. And it's not like I could just wipe them off, because the interior lenses were cloudy, too.
By some sort of miracle, my telephoto lens was clear for about 3.5 minutes, which allowed me to get a couple of good shots.
Later, Meghan asked me to take some family photos of her family. I should have learned from the beach shots to leave my camera in the car to stay warm or something, but leaving your nice camera in a hot car just seems like a bad idea for several reason. Anyway, my lenses were hopelessly cloudy again, but luckily Meghan's camera had been in the car and has a lovely 50mm lens that allowed for some nice photos.



Molly, Ben, Meghan, Claire, Stephen, Lauren.

In the end, I was able to get one or two good photos at each shoot, despite my problems with the weather. I think I like being a pretend photographer (as opposed to a real photographer) because I can take some nice photos without the pressure of people really expecting them to be good.

Which reminds me of the first interaction I ever had with my sister-in-law, Laurie Jayne. She said something about how she was looking forward to eating some Japanese food I was planning on making; I responded how I was nervous that it might not be that good. She said, "Then I will spread word of your mediocrity, so then we'll all be pleasantly surprised."

Clever, no? And exactly the way I'd like my photography to be known.

4 comments:

Lizzy said...

What type of camera do you have? The pictures are very fun!

Rika Burr said...

did anyone take pictures of you guys

Elizabeth Frost said...

Ami,
I am laughing because I felt the same way. I think I still owe you your family pictures, but I was so annoyed about the fog. I wish we could do a retake sometime soon. I promise I am a better photographer.

Melanee said...

I am super impressed that you were able to get such a good picture of such a large family and even manage to be in it yourself.