Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Jake and Erica's Wedding


Ah, what a wonderful weekend. Our celebration of Jake and Erica's sealing was beautiful, fun, and delicious. They made the unique decision to have their reception the night before the sealing, so we spent all of Friday readying ourselves for the big night. Because of poor planning on my part, I ended up
1. Making the wedding slideshow
2. Doing the reception centerpieces
3. Presenting a training session at work
4. Teaching Relief Society
5. Making 9 dozen cookies for the reception.
...all during that one weekend. Whew.
So I got the slideshow out of the way earlier in the week. I rather enjoyed myself, and I think it turned out well.
Then I pounded out all the homemade Samoas I could possibly muster. Wow, they are labor intensive. But so delicious. I was lucky I messed so many of them up so I had an excuse to eat them.
Then, on Friday morning, I gave my presentation at work and then rushed down the Provo to start working on the flowers. Here is the end result:

Isn't it impressive what a good photographer can do?
Overall, the flowers were okay. There were a number of arrangements that made me kind of cringe and filled me with shame, but they mostly turned out okay, thanks to a lot of help from cousins, friends, and family members.
Then we headed to the hotel to change clothes, only to discover that we'd left Dane's dress shirt in Sandy. So I ran over the Kid to Kid and found him a shirt that was too small. Luckily, I had bought another backup, so he looked okay.
Then it was picture time:

Yeah, Dane's the only one in a blue shirt, thanks to the picked over racks at the Provo Kid to Kid. Oh well. Random strangers commented on how cute Dane looked, what with his bowtie, suit jacket, and suit shorts. I thank Bart Simpson for the fashion inspiration.

The Shirts family

Caitlin, Erica's sister who is standing behind her 102-year-old grandmother, was my co-worker when I worked for BYU Studies. She is hilarious and awesome. I am so happy that our families are connected.
Frost Family, sans children:

Girls:

I love Erica's dress. Back in my day, lace/beading wasn't really in fashion. But after seeing Erica's beautiful dress, I feel like I missed out on a lot of gorgeousness.
Boys:

I found this picture to be just slightly creepy:

Oh, and the cookies. The reception had a cookie table with like 20 different kinds of cookies. I think it is an awesome idea, and when Kenji gets married (my only relation who is left to be the beneficiary of my wedding ideas), I want him to have a cookie table. This was the only picture I could find of my Samoas. They're the blurry ones down at the bottom.

Then, the sealing the next morning:

Hooray for happiness!
Jake came out and gave Joel a hug

This was touching for us, since we have a similar picture from our own sealing. It is cool to see Jake all grown up and starting his own married life.

Yeah, their photographer was way better than ours.

Joel just told me I use too many pictures in my posts, so I'll end it quickly:
Frost Family (or Why Does Ami Look So Short?)




A very happy wedding weekend.

P.S. I stole most of the pictures off of the photographer's website. I use the term "stole" quite literally, since she had all the typical photographer securities in place, yet I still managed to cleverly pilfer them. So, to assuage my guilt, here is a link to her blog. She is very talented.

8 comments:

Lizzy said...

Where did you get both of your dresses? They look darling!

Meghan said...

You don't look short! Although I had to laugh, because I would have called that one picture, "Why does Meghan look so tall?"

Secondly, aside from Erica's gorgeous dress, you definitely get the award for Most Beautiful Dress at the wedding festivities. That yellow dress will go down in history as being my favorite. LOVE IT!

Bruthahood said...

Who's the little girl in the middle of the Frost Family ph...oh wait, it's Ami.

Rika Burr said...

i also like how dane is off on his own on the side of the picture making a crazy face

Rika Burr said...

i also like how dane is off on his own on the side of the picture making a crazy face

Bruthahood said...

Joel looks like Phil Mickelsen in the Frost family picture.

Cassia said...

Wow - yeah, a busy weekend indeed! Good job for surviving it. :) The pictures are very nice. I agree - the cookie table was a good idea. And having the reception on a day separate from the wedding was also a good idea, I think.

Melanee said...

How did you manage to find not one but two amazing dresses in the wedding colors? Apparently cookies, wedding videos, and flowers are not the only things at which you excel.