Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dane

Dane has started to say some funny things lately. For instance, if we ever chastise him for something, he'll yell, "Don't scream like that, okay??" I hope you know that we weren't screaming.
Also, multiple times a day, he'll say "I have an idea: let's play trains!" The idea of playing trains is not novel. Nor would I consider it an idea since it's something that's constantly on his mind.
Maybe these are the kinds of things that are only funny to me and Joel because we're his parents. But here's one that is probably more universally funny:
At church, Dane was snuggling on Joel's lap, and due to his fascination with ears, he put his finger in Joel's ear. He craned his head over to look into Joel's other ear and said, "I can't see my finger!"

Here is some awesome bedhead he woke up with last week:

Also last week, I came home from my Relief Society meeting to find these sweet boys on the couch:

Finally, Dane was invited to a birthday party for a little girl in our ward. I was feeling rather cheap and unmotivated to go buy a birthday present, so I decided to make her a dress using all materials I already had. Kenji was quick to point out that making a dress is way more work than just going and buying a present. But I didn't spend any money, and I finished it all during Dane's nap. Swish for me.
Just to make sure it came out alright, I HAD to try it on Dane. I HAD to! I had no other model!
Don't tell Joel.

I left his pants and dinosaur slippers on him to lessen some of the girliness. He is also clutching Lightning McQueen in an effort to preserve his masculinity.
Since we had all these labels made for our Etsy shop that has proven extremely unsuccessful, I've been sticking the Eminandems label onto whatever I make these days:

And here's a more detailed shot of my first try at shirring. It was pretty fun, once I figured out the best settings on my machine for it. Yes, I was too lazy to clip the loose threads before taking the picture.

Again, Lightning McQueen is making a speedy appearance on the side, proclaiming, "I'm a boy!"
I used this tutorial to make the dress. I made the sleeves a little wider (4 inches) to make it more like a cap sleeve, but I think I'll make them even wider next time, like 4.5 to 5 inches.

10 comments:

Joel said...

I liked him better in the sackcloth. Did you pose him like that, with the toe pointing and everything?

Lizzy said...

I love how the dress turned out. You are quite the seamstress.

Evan and Holly said...

That's a very cute dress. If only we both had girls, then we would have models and could have cute dresses all the time. :)

Rika Burr said...

i like the fact that he is pointing his toe.

Melanee said...

What a cute dress! It really makes me want to smock something.

Melissa said...

Ahh- that is amazing- even on Dane- I would totally try dresses on my boys too- just for the feeling of trying dresses on your kids :)

Megan said...

Every time I check your blog I see something new and crafty that makes me feel wildly inadequate. That dress is beautiful. And the fact that Dane is okay with it just shows how secure he is in his masculinity.

Meghan said...

Oh my goodness Ami! That dress is SO CUTE! I love that fabric and the ruffled edges too (I forgot the technical term you used). Oh, how I wish we lived close so my girls could be "models" for your sewing projects! You are so talented on the sewing machine. I feel like I haven't sewn in AGES. You are so good at it!

Laurie said...

What a funny Dane! He's a gift from heaven. The naptime dress is amazing but he doesn't look like a girl, just a boy whose mom needed a model! He looks more comfortable hanging out with Dad. Mom F

Cassia said...

Wow! I am so impressed. I'm almost inspired to get out my own sewing machine. Then I remember the desk needs to be cleaned first. Oh, well. Maybe sometime. :)

Really, the dress is quite nice. And the fact that you didn't spend anything *and* got it done during naptime is amazing!