Friday, April 17, 2009

Privatization, Part II

I didn't explain why I've decided to go private because I didn't want to sound paranoid or make other people paranoid, or make anyone feel like they need to go private, too. But I guess that was silly, and everyone deserves an explanation.
I have decided to go private because there are a lot of creepy people in the world who could use information/photos from our blog in a way that is detrimental to us or in a way that we would never want our photos to be used. My work as a therapist makes me even more aware of these possibilities, 1) because I work with people who have been hurt by those who are creepy, and I see it as a very real threat that is more common than people realize, even in communities that are considered safe, and 2) because I work with people who may be considered creepy, and they know my name and sometimes the names of my family members. I just have more exposure to bad stuff than the average citizen.
Again, I'm not trying to scare anyone. We haven't had any specific experiences that lead us to believe that anyone is currently using our blog for nefarious purposes. But those are my reasons.
Just so you know.

6 comments:

Cassia said...

Very understandable. Glad you haven't had any concerning experiences already, though! :) I'll email you to make sure you have my address, but I must warn you that (like Bryan said), I'm *horrible* about checking private blogs. :) Truthfully, I'm horrible at checking my RSS feeds half the time, too, but even more so with blogs not on those feeds. :)

Megan said...

You make very good points. I have not personally had any creepy experiences with clients. However, when I was home for Christmas, I met a friend of Jeff's whose dad is a therapist, and he told me a really creepy story about being stalked by one of his dad's clients because of things he posted on Facebook. I haven't done much to up the security on my cyberlife since then, except to not post on Facebook much. So far, so good. Also, one of my professors caught me typing on my blog in his class, and he immediately got on the computer (which was linked to the projector) and typed it in. I guess maybe I should re-re-evaluate how accessible my life is.

Sistahood said...

Was this perhaps inspired by Oprah last week? I saw a show about child predators that thoroughly creeped me out. Now that we have a child...I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I'm just afraid that someone will get left out if we go private,,,silly me. I should just do it!

Laurie said...

Ami, count me in - I emailed you so hope I get a limerick. Dane's outfit is so precious and you too! Sorry we hogged Joel during Easter but he made us very happy and it topped off Jacob's homecoming to have him there. I thought of you lots and told Joel we needed to call you and apologize that you had to be alone! Mom F

Laura said...

Hey Ami-

I would like to keep reading your blog! I don't have your e-mail, does that matter?

Tracie Frost said...

Hi Ami - Thanks for inviting us! We love stopping by to get a laugh and see what you guys are up to!

Tess