Monday, August 1, 2011

Oklahoma Happenings

When it comes to the baby, I keep having a feeling of imminence. Or maybe I'm just feeling immense:

At any rate, there are a few random things I want to post about before I'm otherwise occupied with the baby. So here goes:

Dane Swims:

Dane has been swimming with Jiichan almost every day, and he has been displaying an amazing natural talent. Maybe I just have blind parental pride, but he seems to be really good. In the short time since these pictures were taken, he has figured out on his own how to swim, float on his back, change directions, tread water, take breaths in the middle of his lap, turn in circles, and dive into the pool from a 1 meter diving board. Isn't that crazy? Maybe we should groom him to be the next Michael Phelps. We'll see.

Joel's Work Open House:
June 30 was the big dedication and open house for the Peggy and Charles Stephenson Oklahoma Cancer Center, where Joel is the new marketing manager. Dane, my mom, and I went to check it out and admire Joel's fancy new office:

Joel's job has been going well, and he's enjoying it. I think it's going to be a great opportunity, and we're excited for the future.

McLoud Blackberry Festival:
The weekend before Independence Day, we went to check out the McLoud Blackberry Festival. It was really hot and not quite as exciting as I'd hoped, but it was still a good time.
They had a car show, which Dane really enjoyed:

And then we all enjoyed blackberry popcorn, a blackberry snow cone, blackberry soda, blackberry cobbler, and fresh blackberries. The soda was super delicious

Joel squeezed into a tiny roller coaster with Dane, and they had a grand old time:


Cow Appreciation Day:
After our first, great experience attending Chick-fil-A's Cow Appreciation day, we have forgotten to go every year. So I vowed this year would be different. On the day of, I spent all day making costumes that we'd be able to reuse in the future, and we were on our way:

We met our friends, Seth, Wendy, and Eden, at the Chick-fil-A. They are our friends who were in our ward in Sandy, and now they're in our stake, living in Edmond, too! Pretty crazy, huh?
As you can see from this next picture, Dane loves Chick-fil-A, so it was a pretty exciting day for him.


Random Pictures of Dane Being Cute:
One Sunday morning, Dane requested some orange juice, so we put him to work juicing his own oranges. It was a happy morning scene:


And just this past Sunday morning, Dane insisted on wearing his suit jacket despite the 100 degree weather. He picked out a tie and wanted to comb his own hair.

He just looked like such a big boy. It made me a little sad. It also made me excited that he will be a good big brother. He's really excited for the baby to come. I am too. I feel like a lot of my pregnancy with Dane was characterized by fear of the unknown. This time, I feel really peaceful, happy, and excited about things. There are obviously still unknowns and uncertainties, but I am definitely looking forward to the birth of this baby. And soon it'll be here! We'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Mom took her lampshade hat to the open house?

LJ said...

Blackberry popcorn just sounds completely amazing right now.

Rika Burr said...

gugug

Teresa said...

looks like you guys are having some fun times :) I am impressed by Dane's swimming abilities. We are still trying to get halle to put her face in the water and blow bubbles. She thinks she's pretty brave when she gets her chin all the way wet!

Rachelle said...

Wow!! I just was going through my google reader and realized I haven't seen anything from your blog for awhile! So I came to your site directly and you guys have had lots of changes! Back to Oklahoma? Baby on the way?? Congrats! Good luck and I will hopefully fix the settings so I will get regular updates from your blog

Cassia said...

Wow - Dane does look so big! Especially in your last two pictures.

Blackberry cobbler sounds so good right now! Especially with ice cream... yum... :)

I love your cow appreciation day pictures. We've done it twice now and each time afterward we wonder why we didn't make ours more reusable. :) Maybe next year.

And by the way - I think you look really cute. I'm always been slightly envious of those who have the "basketball" look like you do in your pictures. I think I just look bigger everywhere, not just the stomach. :) Hang in there.

Melanee said...

Haha, I love the word play! Having been inspired by your previous Cow Appreciation Day post, we were going to do it this year but I got sick. So instead of making cow costumes, I just sat around and felt like a cow.